Thursday, May 28, 2009

City Life

Yesterday was a trip. It was the first time we had made a real grocery shopping trip since we’ve been here. We walked..it's a little less than half a mile there. It’s funny to try to compromise our different brand preferences and eating habits so that we don’t spend entirely too much money. We managed to spend just a little over $60. No idea how long the food will last…but we have it!

Not a whole lot is new..We saw Fallout Boy Live on Today last week..the month of June is going to Rock though! So many good bands are coming for free concerts! We see HILLSONG live this Sunday!! I'm SO excited!!! What else is new..I absolutely hated my first day of work but the past two times I’ve actually kinda liked it. We get paid Friday! It’s a weekly check instead of biweekly, which could be a good thing and a bad thing. Just as long as I can budget the money for metro, food, and housing, we should be alright. We work with an extremely diverse group of people. Two of our managers are gay, one is a girl that dresses like a man and one is a guy. Matt’s actually kinda cool, I didn’t like him at first but he’s really nice to us now. Mary is a “stylist” which I thought was awesome because that’s what she loves to do—dress people! Also, they’re supposed to let her help out with the visuals which is another thing that is right up her alley! Should look pretty good on a resume! I was thinking it would be cool if she could work her way up the ladder—could open up some huge opportunities later on…we’re working in New York City! It’s so cool. I’m a desk associate and I go on the floor sometimes…I actually hate retail but a desk with a register, I can do.

We haven’t really been actively looking for a second job like we did for the first, but we should probably get on that within the next couple days since schools are going to be letting out for summer soon. There is a starbucks just down the street from AT that is hiring baristas. It might be mad busy, but they also make some mad tips. Mary doesn’t seem to be gun-hoe about that option but it’s one, and would be convenient because it’s close to the other job. Whenever one of us is working the other generally kills the time in sbux anyways. So…my logic is that if we’re going to be here for a “shift” anyways, why not work? There’s another place down 2 blocks from AT that is my favorite breakfast spot called Pret A Manger- not really sure how to pronounce that. I say it different every time I think. Anyways, we saw a sign the other day that was like hiring starting at $11 an hour. That would be nice. They have kinda dorky looking uniforms but I don’t really care. Our other options right now that we know are hiring are barnes and noble, near where we’re staying and Fairway which is like a gourmet grocery store that’s supposed to be really nice. God will provide, a second job would be nice for both of us.

As far as a place to stay, we’re still praying. A door closed for somewhere I would have liked to have stayed but we were praying for God’s will so we are looking at other options now. We are thinking about right now staying in the basement of the church until…we find something else. It’s time to try to get settled somewhere…rent there would be super cheap. If we could get permission to remodel the shower area and a room that’s junk right now I think it could actually be pretty nice…we’ll see what happens. Keep praying. 

I found 2 books last night I started reading in Barnes and Noble.. “When God Writes Your Love Story” and “When God Writes Your Life Story” I love them so far..yay for summer reading! It’s nice being able to walk to Barnes….or anywhere really. Lol. We walked to the beach and back last week. Can’t wait til it gets hot! Today it’s kinda icky..weird misting has been happening for atleast an hour. We slept in today til 12:30!! Ah it was heavenly! We both definitely needed that! We got up and I made a big breakfast with pancakes, fried eggs, and bacon. Ah it was so good! And then Mary had to be at work by 4 so I’m sitting in….STARBUCKS while she works. Two Sundays ago we watched church in here. It was awesome-skyscrapers surrounding us and huge people-watching open windows. It’s the life…

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog so far. It's cool because I can easily picture you saying this stuff :)

    It's awesome hearing about you and Mary relying on God for everything here! It can't be easy starting from scratch the way you guys have, but I'm pretty sure anybody could do it with the attitude you have. It's encouraging to me.

    I am so jealous of you guys! I'm going to have to do something like this next summer now >=D

    Keep these coming! I wanna hear how everything's goin'. If you keep posting, I'll keep on reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (this is nate, by the way. this blog stuff confuses me a little hehe) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so I did just post on your other blogpost but its ok to comment again right? its sounds so amazing the different opportunities that seem to be thrown your way. i hope and pray things go well for you!

    ReplyDelete